Thursday, April 16, 2009

Spring is in the air!

Ahhh, I love this time of year! The warmth of the sun permeating the layers of ice and chill covering my bones. The robins flitting around. The bullfrogs and crickets harmonizing as the sun goes down. Me outrunning the cops.

Wait, what!?! Yes, call me Thelma or Louise, today was my day to skirt the law! Maybe there was something in the air. Ok, so let me explain. The morning started out like any other...I did not want to get up for work, but begrudgingly dragged my butt out of bed and got ready. I, for whatever reason (maybe just so I could blog about it, who knows!) decided to take an alternate route to work. Twenty minutes and two miles of progress later, I quickly scrapped my plans and turned around to take my normal route. At this point I knew I would be late or at the very least cutting it extremely close, so I might have had a bit of a lead foot. Seriously, I never see a cop on my new route, so I thought nothing of it. All of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the dreaded blue and red flashing lights flicker to life at the top of an entrance ramp. Crap. I panicked, not gonna lie. I quickly merged into the middle lane, keeping a watchful eye on the SUV no doubt barrelling in my direction. I decided to abruptly take the upcoming exit...smooth, huh? Like that doesn't scream "HERE I AM!". Seriously. As I inched up the ramp, my hands were trembling and I prayed that the red and blue flecks would not become massive globes of doom in my rear view mirror. And just as I came to a halt at the top of the ramp, I glanced to my left only to have one of those slow motion movie moments....the brief flash of the sheriff in the far right lane, slowed down...but passing the exit! I half expected to see the sheriff shaking his fist in disgust at me as he crept by. Oh thank you Lord! I was relieved....no, beyond relieved. I felt...alive! Like I had just pulled off the biggest heist in history and gotten away with it. Like I could be the star of Oceans 14. Haha, can you tell I walk on the wild side? Ha! Ok really I was just glad I wouldn't have to shell out a Sure, some may say that he might not have even been after me, but that really doesn't make a good story, now does it? So someday I'll sit my kids down and tell them the story of the day their mom outran the law. Has a nice ring to it, don't you agree???

Moral of the story though: karma will get ya in the end. It's not all glory and deviance, I ended up being late for work and am now getting sick. AND the exit I took only had a westbound ramp, so I had to go back a mile in order to turn around and head the right way. There's a slight possibility I might have slumped down in my seat each time I passed the 6 freakin cops I saw on the rest of the drive, totally looking like an idiot in case there was an APB out on me. Sheesh. I fought the law...but the law won. Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. way to go JR! this will be a fun story to relive over and over :) (once your heart rate settles down that is!)

    feel better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, getting sick is no fun!

    But I LMAO'ed at your story. I probably would've thought the cops were after me too. Haha.

    ReplyDelete