Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm hooked and I can't stop staring...

Oh baby, I wanna get with ya...you know how the song goes! But that's not what this post is about. I am hooked on reality TV...well all TV if we're being honest to blog. My interests vary from American Idol to Jericho to One Tree Hill to Grey's Anatomy to Top Chef to Biggest Loser to Heroes to pretty much anything TLC or Bravo. Sometimes these shows have been known to consume me...and that's where the problem lies! Tonight I found myself fretting over the AI outcome and predicting what Simon would have said had things not turned out as they did....wait, what, seriously!?! It hit me on the phone...I am all too consumed with television. What the heck is wrong with me??? Oh wait, I'm not alone in this battle? Good. Cuz I know somedays you feel like Meredith is your person. And occassionally you find yourself yelling unimaginable phrases at your innocent tvs or computer screens, right? I thought so. And you see qualities in men who can fly that you'd like to find in...ahem, a real man whose sole super hero power is being able to put the toilet seat down or remembering your birthday? So what is it about tv that is so consuming? For me, it's a sense of routine, familiarity, escape. I'll freely admit, I love coming home for certain shows, like an eager pet who is just waiting for you to get home to love it and play with it. And I find myself wishing that the men and women on my screen would walk into my life and things would be grand. And sometimes I just don't want to deal with the crap going on in my life, but I'm overly antsy to stick my nose into Claire's latest death defying drama. And each time Jake gets himself into trouble, I laugh because I remeber how he got out of the last pickle. I remember who he's kissed and who crushes on him and know who he belongs with. Because for 40 some odd minutes (stupid commercials) I can forget that I had a bad day or that I've got a relationship to figure out and I can focus on someone else's "life." But in the end, I realize the one thing that trumps the BFFs and the drama and the McDreamys...that the people in my life are truthfully far better than any character I could ever find on tv. And that, my friends, is worth coming home to every night.

1 comment:

  1. isn't tv grand....but you're right, real life is grander! (by far, since you're in my real life!) heart you!

    ReplyDelete