Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sick. And then some.

I don't get sick very often, but when I do, it seems to go straight for my lungs. For the second time in six months, I have an upper respiratory infection, which apparently is concerning to the doctors. So, I'm on a strong steroid with lots of fluids and rest. And I'm Vitamin D deficient, along with most of America apparently. Vitamin D is produced in our skin when we are exposed to the sun and helps our immune systems, bones, joints, and more. Research has shown it is also effective at reducing the risks for many different cancers. Sign me up! My doctor shared his personal experience with the vitamin to me yesterday...two years ago he read a study on the benefits of Vitamin D and decided to try it out for himself. With hundreds of people coughing, sneezing, and sniffling on him daily, you'd think he'd get sick all the time, right? Wrong! Notsomuch as a cold in over two years! Sold. Your doctor can check your blood levels to see where you're at (32 is the goal, his was at 54 a couple of weeks ago). So, starting yesterday, I'm taking 2000 i.u. of Vitamin D daily. Worth a shot I figure! In the meantime, I have to follow up with a new doctor in 1-2 weeks, who will probably refer me to someone else to get this respiratory thing figured out. The funniest part to me is when they ask if I'm a smoker and I reply "never," to which they always seem surprised, haha!


One more thing...happy birthday to this incredible lady and welcome home to this guy:

2 comments:

  1. sending chicken soup for a best friend's soul to get you better soon! let me know how the vit D goes.....hehe. happy b-day jp! (not me jp...my euchre partner jp!) and i hope T settles in back home nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better soon and happy b-day to Mrs. P.

    ReplyDelete